Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My LOVES in Mexico

I never want to send the message that I don't love my life here. So without further ado, I've decided to share some things that I love and that Mexico does right.

LOVE me some public transit.
It's most of the time faster than cars, cheaper and you get to be crammed in with 400 of your closest friends. I can go to and from campus in one day and pay less than $1 USD in transportation. It's reliable and dependable and makes for some great stories later. I don't know how I lived so many years without it.

LOVE me cheap fruits and vegetables. 
There is a market 1/2 block from my house and I can go and buy all the fruits and vegetables that we need there for under $5 most of the times. For those that go way back with me, you know that I used to not eat many vegetables. I found out in Mexico that I love cooked veggies--squash, green beans, carrots, etc are some of my favorites. We can get all types of fruit as well.

LOVE me some great friends. 

Yes, I had this in the States too but I am recently coming to accept that our community is priceless. I have some of the best friends of my life around me these days in Mexico. I laugh so hard with them. I also enjoy spending time with Gabo's family. Just about every 2 weeks, we spend all day Sunday with his dad and some one else from the family. Mexicans are great at loving people well and helping others feel included. I love this about the culture. 

These are the tops but I also think that Mexico does a great job with:

- drinkable yogurts. Yum! Delicious.
- celebrating their Independence.
- being hosts to everyone
- driving defensively

There are so many things that are great about this place. I know that Mexico gets a bad wrap in the news a lot with the presidency, drug cartels and immigration but I feel completely blessed to live here.

No comments: