Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Why the Fourth of July means something different to me...

Two years ago, my friends and I decided to throw a party here in Mexico to celebrate our independence day. I think I have become quite the party planner here because of the nature of how we use get togethers to love people well, say goodbye and include new friends and non-believers in our circle of friends. (Maybe I will share a post on that later...)


So July 4, 2009-theme "4th of July" 

 Me with Jessica and Katie (we organized the festivities)

When we were inviting friends, Katie told me to send a text message to our friend Gabo. And he showed up. 



And we took a picture together and he asked me out on a date. July 4th was the kickoff of our dating relationship.

Then last year--July 4, 2010, we were married. (We move quick huh?) And celebrated with Katie in the US. 


So this year, we just celebrated our first year anniversary and we are here in Mexico with lots less Americans around so we decided to take a road trip yesterday to celebrate with some friends in Queretaro, Mexico. It was about 3 hours by bus. Here is a picture of the husband and me at the bus station coming back. 




Personally, I am so grateful for this man. He sacrifices so much so that I can still feel like I can be this American girl. There is nothing like eating a burger, some watermelon and cherry coke on the appropriate day of the year while saying the Pledge of Allegiance with 2 other American friends. 

Coming home, I was overwhelmed with gratefulness for my husband. Our marriage is full of learning new things about each other and understanding our cultures in the middle of it. 



No comments: