Sunday, January 22, 2012

Famous People and their Addictions

Etta James died this past week. Her song "At Last" was what I danced with my husband at our US reception. Here's a picture. 





What you can't see in this picture is that I am translating the words to him into Spanish. :) It's our little game we play. The perks of being married to a Mexican Musician.

Anyways, I began to do a little research on Etta's life. I found out that she was a long time drug user. I cannot say that I am surprised by that. You and I both know that people in the spotlight take their stint the Betty Ford.

I am perplexed by it. Again, I considered it when Gabo and I were watching the movie "Walk the Line"--the story of Johnny Cash.

I guess my question is--what is the draw to a substance?  They have it all. Money, fame, fans, anything they have ever wanted and more. But they are still so empty that they need to fill the empty moments or reach new highs with drugs.

I am relatively normal. I pay my bills. I work hard for the money. I do my dishes. I have wonderful friends. And normal people in my life have been haunted by addictions.

Whether you are Johnny Cash or John Smith, we all have a giant hole in our heart that can only be filled with Jesus Christ. Nothing else can really do the trick. Although it saddens me, it makes sense that after all that they have, they would turn to drugs, alcohol, extra-marital affairs, etc to look for the empty feeling to disappear.

I remember a couple of years together talking to a fellow staff friend about experiencing Jesus daily. We related our daily walk with the Lord as a drug that we needed. When we didn't have our moment to surrender everything to Him, we were left feeling a little off. I am sure what it feels like after years of abusing drugs. The day you decide to "take a break", things get a little cock-eyed...partly because you are not used to life with IT. That is what I want. I don't want to live life with Him. Life is better with him.

Try Jesus. Get hooked on Him. He will wreck your life.

No comments: