Friday, January 30, 2009

Christianity these days...

I don't want to be luke warm...in anything really. I don't want to sit on a fence or confuse people by my words or actions. Especially in my faith.

I went to a student meeting this past weekend. It was great. In just 4 months, students are leading meetings and ministries without a ton of help from staff. It was impressive but I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by the way we as Christians tend to separate ourselves from everyone else. We use a different language, take our kids to different schools, listen to a radio station that only plays music that is wholesome and uplifting…the list goes on and on. And honestly as those things were probably put into place to help us Christians grow closer to Jesus, what I really think it has done is make the chasm of us v.s. them a bridge that I wouldn’t even want to cross. I just don’t think we are very approachable. God calls me to live not of the world but I think that Jesus would have gone to a New Kids concert or out to a bar to watch the Pumas play futbol or maybe even have voted for Obama. I think our legalism in trying to boil down our faith in ways that we as humans can micromanage it has made faith something not adventurous and life changing but just one of those things that people “fall into” to supposedly make their lives better. I don’t want to be lukewarm by any means. I just want to be someone that is approachable to understand and know in the context of me knowing Jesus. Is that too much to ask?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Go on girl...

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing your heart.

amy brink said...

amen amen and amen. that is my heart, girl!